Breast Reconstruction – Non-Insurance Covered*
The loss of one or both breasts can cause severe physical and emotional turmoil; however, the fields of plastic and reconstructive surgery have seen significant advances over the last few decades, and breast reconstruction has been one of the most resounding successes. Considered a top plastic surgeon in Saratoga Springs, Dr. Steven Yarinsky offers a number of breast reconstruction options that can help women look better to enhance their self-esteem. Our team at Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgery is here to help you with this next step. We offer comprehensive, compassionate care and we are dedicated to the best outcome possible.
If you would like more information on breast reconstruction surgery, or if you would like to schedule a consultation with Dr. Yarinsky, please contact our practice.
*Dr. Yarinsky does not offer insurance-covered breast reconstruction at this time.
Who is a Candidate?
- You have suffered the loss of one or both breasts due to mastectomy.
- You suffer from congenital (birth) or developmental breast deformity such as significant droopiness or breast volume or size asymmetry.
- You have inverted or flat nipples.
- You have old gel or saline implants that have hardened or caused breast deformity.
- You have suffered partial or full breast removal due to injury or lumpectomy.
- Restore your breast or breasts shape, volume
- Provide better breast volume symmetry
- Provide better nipple horizontal symmetry
- Create breast mounds and nipples that appear more natural
- Correct inverted nipples to provide a natural appearance
I am a general surgeon and have been following a patient of yours. You performed plastic surgery on her several weeks ago. I wish to compliment you on the excellent cosmetic result. I cannot imagine a better cosmetic result than you have achieved. I have asked the patient to have her picture taken and mailed to you. Congratulations!
Breast Reconstruction Techniques
There are a variety of breast reconstruction techniques that can be customized to your unique physical needs. Tissue expansion breast reconstruction involves the use of a small balloon to expand the remaining skin in the breast area, ultimately forming a new breast mound. This technique can also be used to make room for a breast implant. There is also what’s known as Flap Surgery reconstructions which create a new breast mound by moving excess skin and fat from one area of the body – such as the back, buttocks, abdomen, or thighs – to the breast area. Once the new breast mound has been created and shaped, nipple reconstruction can be performed. Correcting significant breast asymmetry may require breast lifts, reducing breast volume, inserting an implant, or the use of a combination of these techniques.
Every patient is unique, and your needs and goals will help Dr. Yarinsky determine which breast reconstruction option may be right for you. Dr. Yarinsky will explain all aspects of various breast reconstruction techniques at your initial consultation, and answer any questions you may have.
Recuperation and Healing
- Specific aspects of recovery will largely depend on which breast reconstruction technique you undergo.
- You should plan for at least a week of rest after a breast reconstruction procedure. But very little time off is required after minor procedures like nipple inversion correction.
- Many patients are able to return to normal daily routines about four to six weeks after breast reconstruction, depending on which type of procedure you undergo.
- Pain and discomfort can be controlled with medication.
- Visible scars will be present after breast reconstruction; however, Dr. Yarinsky will work to make these as minimal as possible.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for you can be determined only at the time of your consultation with Dr. Yarinsky. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual. Most people are very happy with the results, but no specific result can be guaranteed.
This procedure is done at our Joint Commission accredited office facility.