Plastic Surgeon Steven Yarinsky, MD, FACS
What Is a Plastic Surgeon?
A plastic surgeon is a doctor who has undergone years of additional specialty training in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery following their general surgery residency. This additional focus on plastic surgery provides physicians with a comprehensive understanding of the relationship between muscle, bone, skin, underlying organs and anatomy throughout the body. With this advanced knowledge, plastic surgeons are particularly skilled at correcting congenital defects, repairing physical trauma, and addressing your cosmetic and aesthetic concerns.
Meet Dr. Yarinsky
Education & Training
After completing four years of undergraduate education at Dartmouth College, Dr. Yarinsky attended four years of medical school at SUNY Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse. During the next five years, he completed his general surgery residency at Ohio State University Hospital, Columbus and at Marshall University Medical School. Following general surgery residency, Dr. Yarinsky spent two years in intensive Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery residency training at the Medical College of Ohio. Fifteen years after high school, Dr. Yarinsky was trained and able to start his practice in Saratoga Springs. Plastic surgeons have one of the most lengthy and detailed residency training of any physician. You may not be aware of the fact that the best doctors continue their medical education long after medical school. Dr. Yarinsky dedicates over 150 hours every three years to continuing medical education and targets his updates on Cosmetic Medicine. By doing so, he is able to perfect his techniques and learn about the latest cosmetic procedures to offer his patients the best possible results.
Dr. Yarinsky’s extensive plastic surgery training and over 28 years of practical experience helping thousands of cosmetic surgery and cosmetic medicine patients gives you the added assurance that he is dedicated to helping you achieve the result that you desire.
Dr. Yarinsky and his staff are wonderful. Dr. Yarinsky’s approach is sensitive and precise. I truly believe his is not only a great Doctor but, a true artist. I have always had a great experience with him and his staff from the moment you walk in the office the friendliness and professionalism is felt. I won’t go elsewhere. I trust Dr. Yarinsky’s skills and his vision. He is very approachable and explains in great detail what he is doing and the point of what he is doing.
July 22, 2017
Honors & Awards
He was selected each year as one of the “Top Plastic Surgeons” by Consumers’ Research Council of America in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; by Plastic Surgery Practice Magazine as one of the “Best Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeons” in the United States in 2013 and 2014; and by Saratoga Today readers for being one of the “Best of the Saratoga Region” as well as a “Best Plastic Surgeon” every year for six years straight from 2013 through 2018. Dr. Yarinsky was also named a “Regional Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 – a designation earned by only the top 10-15% of physicians in the geographical area.
Dr. Yarinsky is the only plastic surgeon located between Albany and Montreal to be elected and hold membership in the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). ASAPS is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS members are board-certified plastic surgeons specializing in cosmetic medicine. The mission of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Inc. is to advance the science, art, and safe practice of aesthetic plastic surgery & cosmetic medicine through education, research, and innovation while maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct. For all of Dr. Yarinsky’s professional affiliations, see below:
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (Member)
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (Member)
- New York Regional Society for Plastic Surgeons
- Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons (Member)
- Mensa, the High IQ Society (Member)
- Ultra-Pulse Laser Skin Resurfacing (Certified)
- ASAPS Certificate of Advanced Education in Cosmetic Surgery (Certified)
- The American Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc. (Diplomat)
- The American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Saratoga County Medical Society, Inc. (Member)
- Medical Society of the State of New York (Member)
Why Choose a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon and Member of ASAPS?
Cosmetic procedures are offered by a variety of different professionals, many of whom are not necessarily qualified to perform the specific surgeries. To help ensure your physician is highly trained, abides by strict safety standards, and is experienced in cosmetic plastic surgery procedures, choose a doctor who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and is a member of ASAPS.
The ABPS is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) that certifies plastic surgeons. To obtain certification from the ABPS, physicians must complete at least six years of accredited specialty training, with no fewer than three years dedicated to plastic surgery, and pass a rigorous exam process provided by the ABPS. Once the physician has achieved certification, they must maintain the routine certification standards, including the completion of continuing education and upholding high standards of care and safety.
In addition to looking for a plastic surgeon who is certified by the ABPS, you should seek a Member Surgeon of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). This status demonstrates the physician has maintained their ABPS certification, passed comprehensive examinations, and operates in accredited surgical facilities. If you want a plastic surgeon who specializes in Cosmetic Medicine, choose a member of ASAPS.
How to Select the Best Plastic Surgeon for You?
With so many plastic surgeons in practice, it can be difficult to know if you are selecting the right one. When conducting your research and deciding on a physician for your cosmetic medicine and cosmetic surgery needs, make sure they have the following credentials:
- Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. As detailed above, plastic surgeons certified by the ABPS far exceed the minimal requirements for plastic surgeons. This credential indicates their commitment to offering safe, high quality care.
- Member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body.
- Experienced and skilled in the specific procedure being considered. To better understand the type of results you may achieve from a surgeon, take a look at their credentials, read patient testimonials, and view before and after photos of their patients who underwent the same procedure. They should show you before and after photos of actual patients they have treated so you can see what results are likely for you.
- Performs surgery in an accredited facility. If the physician offers treatment in a private facility instead of a hospital, ensure the facility has been accredited by an organization such as the Joint Commission. The Joint Commission only accredits surgical facilities like Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgery, PC that abide by the highest safety and care standards.
- Helps you feel comfortable and confident. Over the course of your treatment, you will be communicating regularly with your surgeon—from your cosmetic surgery consultation through the end of your recovery and beyond. You should feel at-ease with them, knowing you can be honest and will receive transparent feedback.
If for any reason you did not feel comfortable with your plastic surgeon, don’t hesitate to meet with others. The most important factor is that you feel safe and confident under their care. By choosing a plastic surgeon that applies to the above guidelines, you can rest assured you are being treated by a highly trained and qualified physician.