Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
Male breast reduction can eliminate excess fat and tissue from the breasts in men who suffer from gynecomastia. Dr. Steven Yarinsky offers confidential treatment for this common condition, and can help men alleviate the self-consciousness they may feel from having gynecomastia. Please contact our Saratoga Springs plastic surgery team for more information on male breast reduction surgery, or to schedule a consultation.
“Dr. Yarinsky & Staff, It’s rare to find an office as professional, organized and caring as yours. Thank you for everything!” – J.R.
*Individual Results May Vary
Who is a Candidate?
- You suffer from gynecomastia – excess fat, skin, or glandular tissue in the breasts, giving them a larger appearance.
- An excess of fat or tissue in the breasts has not been reduced after weight loss or after adolescence.
- You suffer from self-consciousness due to the appearance of your chest.
- Reduction of excess fat, skin, or glandular tissue in the breasts.
- Firmer, more contoured chest appearance.
- Male breast reduction surgery can be performed as an outpatient, and usually takes less than two hours to complete.
- For cases where excess fat is causing the problem, liposuction alone can be effective. Several small incisions around the nipples will be made, and the fat will be suctioned out with the use of thin metal rods called cannulas.
- If the breasts appear large due to excess glandular tissue, the tissue – and excess skin, if necessary – will be surgically extracted. This approach may also be combined with liposuction for the most effective results.
- Residual scarring should be minimal and light.
Recuperation and Healing
- Some mild bruising and swelling will be present for a few days.
- A compression garment may be required for a few days to help the healing process.
- You should avoid strenuous exercise and lifting of heavy objects for several weeks after surgery.
- Normal daily activities can typically be resumed a few days after the procedure.
As noted above, some male breast reduction procedures may only require liposuction. Dr. Yarinsky will help you determine the appropriate technique for your needs at your initial, confidential consultation.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for you can be determined only at the time of your consultation with Dr. Yarinsky. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual. Most people are very happy with the results, but no specific result can be guaranteed.
This procedure is done at our Joint Commission accredited office facility.